2. Test Application Access
Test the registration process
Great job! Now that you’ve fixed the config file, it looks like the application is running (at least partially).
Let’s try to create a new user:
- Navigate to the Game Environment Console browser that you have open. It should be the page with the black background and Register/Login screen. Refresh the browser.
- If you fixed the config file correctly, you should be able to see that the 404 ERRORs are no longer there and that the message CONFIG LOADED is shown in your browser’s Developer Console. This means that the application was able to retrieve the AWS configurations.
- You will see a screen with the buttons Register and Login. Click Register.
- Fill out the form to register a new user for yourself:
- Username: Define a username. Use only lowercase letters, and don’t use symbols. Don’t use your email here, as this is classified as PII (Personally Identifiable Information).
- Email: You will need a valid and accessible email. Cognito needs to send you a confirmation email and you will need to click on it to confirm. We recommend using a personal email to avoid issues with spam blockers.
- Password: For testing purposes, use a simple password (like Password!123). This password is managed by Cognito. It will not be stored in the application database.
- Confirm (and memorize, or take note) your password: Repeat your password.
- Your company’s web domain (ex: aws.amazon.com): Input your company domain.
- Click on the button Register.
- If registration worked, you should receive a confirmation in your email. Open the email and click on the verification link. If after a few minutes, you have not received an email, check your Junk folder.
Test the login process
- Navigate back to the Game Environment Console tab in your browser and select Login.
- Enter your user credentials, and click Login.
- If you entered your credentials correctly, you will see the following pop-up message:
Login successful to user USERNAME.
You may also see a page with the status WAITING and a countdown stopped at 10. This means you have successfully logged in; however, there may be other errors with the Alien Attack application that need to be fixed.
- Right-click anywhere on this screen and select Inspect or Inspect Element to access the browser’s Developer Console.
- Select the Console tab to see what the possible error could be.
Let’s move on to solve some of these errors.
Test the Alien Attack Manager Console
The Manager Console allows the game manager to create a game session and start the game so that other participants, or players, can join the session. It also shows the current game’s scoreboard.
- Navigate to the Manager Console tab that you opened in the Setup step. Refresh the browser.
- The page will show some fields for you to enter the username and password that you defined earlier. Enter your credentials now.
- If the application indicates an AccessDeniedException, then we still need to make you a manager of the Alien Attack game. We will need to fix this in Amazon Cognito.
Proceed to the next step to continue fixing the game.